Thursday, February 5, 2009

Can You Believe It -- We're A Year Old Today!

It has been an amazing year -- it is hard to believe that one year ago today, our beautiful girls came into the world!

I was able to spend the day with the girls today -- each time I glanced at the clock I was reminded where I was one year ago. I remembered each moment, like it was just yesterday... Laying in bed, unable to sleep because they were so active. Rolling over and feeling the pop -- then warmth. Waking Geoff up and telling him "um, I think we have to go somewhere" with a huge smile on my face. Arriving at the OB Triage Room where they wanted to "make sure" my water actually broke, after telling them that I was literally sitting in a puddle of fluid. Being moved to a L&D room; finally getting my epidural. Then we lost Emily's heart rate on the monitor -- apparently Abby was pushing her littler sister out of the way, looking for a way out. And then, after several hours of not making much progress, finally deciding it was best to do a c-section because the girls' heart rates were increasing. I was game -- whatever needed to be done to get the girls out safely. That was all we cared about. Being rolled down the hall to the OR -- knowing we would be seeing our girls within the hour -- I couldn't stand to wait any longer. Hearing their cries for the first time -- they were these little, precious little cries; so soft and gentile. I could hardly believe they were baby cries -- they sounded like little kitties. That nice nurse who let me see Abby before they took her to the NICU. The tears of joy I cried -- they were safe -- they were here! Finally!

Today at 12:33 I was watching the girls eat their lunch. They do this now with very little assistance from me... I gently gave each of my little pumpkins a kiss on the head, as tears welled up in my eyes. I thanked God (as I do every single day) for giving us the best gift ever -- and the best babies ever. Abby and Emily are certainly a blessing that we will never, ever take for granted. They have had an amazing year, and it seems that they have made great strides just in the last few weeks. Emily is full-fledged crawling like a big girl and Abby has definitely earned herself a new nickname "scooter butt" -- because she does just that. Scoots on her butt. And boy, can she keep pace with Emily. She has also made progress with starting to finally do the army crawl. I had given up hope that Abby would crawl, but now see a glimmer of hope.

Unfortunately today Geoff had a Parent Open House at School and could not spend the whole evening with us. However, he was able to stop home for a couple of hours before he had to head back. We took this opportunity to give the girls their "birthday cupcakes" and presents. Just as I should have expected -- Emily TORE into her cupcake and Abby was much more dainty about it. She eventually ate some cake (with daddy's help) and licked some frosting off of her fingers. But she didn't get down and dirty with it like her sister. At one point, Emily actually took the top of the cupcake and bit into it, tearing a huge chunk off. It was quite a sight. And to think -- I was afraid that Emily would not be ready for cake on her birthday. Apparently, she got over her gag reflux just in time.

It was a wonderfully, special day -- and an emotional day at times. It was the first of many fun-filled birthdays in Abby and Emily's future. Happy Birthday girls -- we love you!

Here are some fun pictures from today:




Emily, enjoying her cupcake!


Abby, enjoying her spoon more than her cupcake...


Emily with a fist-full of cupcake and frosting.


The girls with their birthday balloons.


Abby with her pretty cupcake -- before we helped her mash into it.


Emily wasted no time tearing into hers!


Emily, trying to escape the morning photo-shoot.


The girls, adorable as ever at a year old!


Not sure what Em' is doing, but Abby sure looks cute!

5 comments:

Adriane said...

Oh my GOD! They are just adorable!!! And huge!! I cannot believe they're 1 already!!!! Shocking. I remember reading the post when you announced they had arrived. Time flies. Hope you and your girls are doing great. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, GIRLS!!!!

Shannen&Makena said...

Oh, they are so cute! Happy 1st Birthday Abby and Emily! Congrats on crawling, time to show your Mommy & Daddy how to improve their baby proofing! ;O)

Meaghan said...

WOW! HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!! I can't beieve it's been a year already! Glad to see things going well!!!

Lisa said...

they are so stinkin cute! I can't believe it has been a year!

oh...emery is only 2lb 13oz...the gown she is swimming in goes up to 5lbs! she's a little peanut!

Anonymous said...

ok so this is where everyone is:). I can NOT believe how big they are...they are beauties Beth!!! Gosh, it seems like it was just yesterday you had the computer in the bed and were talking about positions to get comfy in and we were analyzing my pee stick and comparing it to yours...how far we have all come!!! What an amazing story you and we all have!!! Hugs!