Yes, it's Abby and Emily's anniversary. No, not their birthday -- but their anniversary. One year ago today, in a laboratory about 10 miles from our home, our two beautiful daughters were "conceived." It is amazing how much difference a year makes.
I remember the drive to the clinic for our egg retrieval, like it just happened yesterday. With this cycle I had begun doing a meditation CD. I found one that followed the stages of an IVF cycle from beginning stimulation medication to retrieval to transfer to the pregnancy test. It helped me focus my attention on positive things rather than worrying.
As we drove to the clinic, I listened to my meditation CD on my iP-od, I was focusing my energy on producing good, quality eggs. In our hearts we knew that one of these cycles HAD to work -- and we both were praying this would be the one.
After the procedure I felt great -- better than I had after any of the 2 prior retrievals. So good, in fact -- we went shopping afterwards. I usually went home and spent the day on the couch. I think mentally, each cycle I tried to do something different to "change it up" a bit. It helped keep me sane...
Looking now at Abby and Emily, it is so hard to believe that just one year ago, they were teeny-tiny little embryos that could not even be seen by the naked eye. Now today they are growing by leaps and bounds.
In the past several days I have been especially weepy. I think I have been reliving this week last year and all of the emotions that were running through my head. Now, fast forward to today -- I look at our girls and thank God for them. I feel so very lucky and blessed. Tears have rolled many times in the last week as I thank my lucky stars that I will never have to take ovarian stimulation medication ever again... nor will I ever have to go in for another "magic wand" ultrasound to count and measure my follicles. I will never have to answer the dreaded "what if" questions that many couples going through repeated attempts must at one point face. Those days are over and now we can look forward to many fun filled days with our beautiful daughters.
Monday, June 30, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Wow - one year since retrieval. I can imagine how emotional this week must be for you. Now you've got two beautiful girls.
BTW, love the pics from last week - I just saw them this morning. I can't believe how big they both are!!!
Post a Comment