Good news! Abby might come home tomorrow! This morning we got a call from the neonatologist asking us to bring a car seat when we come in today. They are going to do the car seat challenge on Abby this afternoon, and if all goes well -- she's coming home tomorrow!
It is such good news, but it is so bittersweet. I am thrilled that Abby will be home with us, but heartbroken that Emily must stay behind. Lately the nurses have been putting Abby and Emily together in the same crib (they were transferred from their isolettes to open-air cribs yesterday) and it has been so sweet to see the two back together -- the way they started out.
The only reason Emily must stay behind is her size and her feeding. She is still fairly behind Abby in her feeding amounts. Abby is taking up to 45 ml + each feeding, while Emily is still only at 30 ml. Emily was still tiring very easily taking the 30, while Abby is wide awake and takes her feeds like a champ. I have been breastfeeding Abby now for about a week and she has been fairly lazy at latching on. Today the nurse gave me a nipple shield, and it helped out tremendously! Abby got a good amount of food from both breasts and then took another 30 ml of breast milk from the bottle. What a little piggy!
I know this separation will only be temporary, and that soon Emily will too join her sister at home with us. It is hard enough to have the girls in the NICU, but at least they had each other. Leaving Emily all alone is going to break my heart -- I am crying right now as I think about it.
Today we had Grandpa Pete and Uncle Doug come to the hospital with us. Unfortunately, Uncle Doug could not come into the nursery, but Grandpa Pete really enjoyed holding the girls. Then they came over to the house to help us do some final preparations for Abby's homecoming -- it was so nice of them to help us out. All this week we have had help from Grandma Peg, Grandma Jill and Uncle Rick too -- God knows we needed their help to be ready, since I'm still hobbling around.
Tomorrow is a big day. I go for an x-ray of my bladder at 8 am and have a doctor's appointment at 4 pm. We will go see the girls and then we need to take a trip to BRU to get some last-minute necessities, in the event that Abby does come home with us. I will try to post as often as possible, but now that I have to learn how to be a mommy at home -- my time might be a little less free. I am excited and nervous about Abby coming home -- on one hand, I feel like we are ready -- but on the other, I feel like we have no idea what we're going to do. Neither Geoff nor I have ever been a parent -- I hope we don't screw up too badly...
It is such good news, but it is so bittersweet. I am thrilled that Abby will be home with us, but heartbroken that Emily must stay behind. Lately the nurses have been putting Abby and Emily together in the same crib (they were transferred from their isolettes to open-air cribs yesterday) and it has been so sweet to see the two back together -- the way they started out.
The only reason Emily must stay behind is her size and her feeding. She is still fairly behind Abby in her feeding amounts. Abby is taking up to 45 ml + each feeding, while Emily is still only at 30 ml. Emily was still tiring very easily taking the 30, while Abby is wide awake and takes her feeds like a champ. I have been breastfeeding Abby now for about a week and she has been fairly lazy at latching on. Today the nurse gave me a nipple shield, and it helped out tremendously! Abby got a good amount of food from both breasts and then took another 30 ml of breast milk from the bottle. What a little piggy!
I know this separation will only be temporary, and that soon Emily will too join her sister at home with us. It is hard enough to have the girls in the NICU, but at least they had each other. Leaving Emily all alone is going to break my heart -- I am crying right now as I think about it.
Today we had Grandpa Pete and Uncle Doug come to the hospital with us. Unfortunately, Uncle Doug could not come into the nursery, but Grandpa Pete really enjoyed holding the girls. Then they came over to the house to help us do some final preparations for Abby's homecoming -- it was so nice of them to help us out. All this week we have had help from Grandma Peg, Grandma Jill and Uncle Rick too -- God knows we needed their help to be ready, since I'm still hobbling around.
Tomorrow is a big day. I go for an x-ray of my bladder at 8 am and have a doctor's appointment at 4 pm. We will go see the girls and then we need to take a trip to BRU to get some last-minute necessities, in the event that Abby does come home with us. I will try to post as often as possible, but now that I have to learn how to be a mommy at home -- my time might be a little less free. I am excited and nervous about Abby coming home -- on one hand, I feel like we are ready -- but on the other, I feel like we have no idea what we're going to do. Neither Geoff nor I have ever been a parent -- I hope we don't screw up too badly...
2 comments:
No stuffs up, I am sure of it. How very exciting, congratulations!
YAY that Abby gets to come home. That is just fabulous! I hope Emily follows soon.
Good luck over the next couple of weeks with the adjusting to mommy-hood. I'm sure you'll be great!
Post a Comment