Wednesday, December 26, 2007

27w4d - Prenatal Appointment

I ventured out again today -- a car ride! Yea! I feel like our dog, Roxie. We had another pre-natal appointment today -- we've been going every 2 weeks since I was discharged from the hospital. Today I was anticipating discussing when I will be transferred back to my regular OB, since they've been telling me that this would happen sometime between 28 and 30 weeks. I have been pretty nervous about leaving the high-risk doctors behind, so we discussed it today and I will go for another prenatal appointment with them in 2 weeks, have another growth ultrasound and then, if everything looks good, I will go back to my regular OB group. The doctor reassured me that if at any time, I want to come back for them to check something out or if something happens (such as going into labor) between my last appointment with them and my first appointment back with my regular OB, I can always give them a call -- they would not turn me away. Thank God!

It's not that I don't trust my regular OB, but I do think I have developed a sense of security being cared for by perinatologists, who take care of high-risk patients all the time, rather than a regular OB group who don't deal much with high-risk patients. I also feel some reassurance that Evanston Northwestern Hospital has a Level III NICU, whereas Condell, where I would deliver under the care of my regular OB, has only a Level II Special Care Nursery. The doctor today assured me that this unit would be able to handle our twins' needs if they should come at 32-34 weeks and need minor support with breathing or growth.

Overall, things are moving along quite well -- my cervix looked good and he warned me that I may begin to experience more frequent contractions and that he wouldn't be worried if I had less than 6 in an hour. Now, I have to begin monitoring my contractions more closely -- as I've been having BH contractions since about week 16. But, I am convinced that those have subsided in the last couple of weeks -- and I am definitely not having 6 in an hour, that's for sure!

I am amazed by the fact that our babies will most likely be born sometime in the next 8-10 weeks. It just seems like this journey has gone on forever and there was a point where it seemed impossible that we would ever reach this point in time. We can't wait for the day when we get to meet our little girls -- see their faces, look into their eyes, hold them close and cherish every moment with them...

No comments: