Sunday, December 23, 2007

Thanksgiving Morning

So far, my bed rest has been fairly uneventful -- thank God. We did have that one little scare on Thanksgiving morning when we had to take a trip to L&D. I woke up feeling "something" that just wasn't right "down there." Women will understand when I say it felt like I had a tampon in. I called the answering service and the doctor called back and told me to go to L&D to have things checked out.

I of course was terrified that something had gone wrong -- perhaps the cerclage slipped somehow -- but I wasn't bleeding, so I had a small amount of optimism that it would end up being nothing. But, when you're on bed rest and being just a little over a week since I had my cerclage -- I wasn't taking any chances.

We got to L&D, and I got changed into a lovely hospital gown, and headed to the bathroom. An hour and a half drive with a bottle of water, I had to pee -- of course. I had had some "bathroom problems" earlier in the morning -- you know, the kind most pregnant women experience. So, when I got to the hospital, things "moved along" if you know what I mean. After I finished up in the bathroom, I went to lay down on the bed and I could no longer feel the "tampon" -- I think I figured out what my problem was.

We were there for about 30 minutes when the doctor and a resident came in to do an exam. They had an ultrasound machine and said they would do an exam first to see what may have been causing my problem. The examined my cervix and both that and the stitch looked good. There wasn't anything "sticking out" and after a quick exam they felt that everything was okay. I told them about my "bathroom difficulties" earlier and the doctor acknowledged that since everything down there is so close, that may have caused some pressure to be placed on my cerclage, causing me to feel it more.

The resident did a quick ultrasound to check the babies and their amniotic fluid levels -- and all looked good. During the ultrasound, the doctor laughed and said now that it was determined that everything was okay, she had to share with me how the answering service conveyed my message to her this morning. She proceeded to pull her pager out of her pocket and as she scrolled she read... "Elizabeth Olson, sensational feeling in the vagina" -- I laughed so hard, our girls were bouncing up and down on the ultrasound screen. The doctor and resident admitted that everyone had a good laugh about that when it came in -- I could imagine so.

Thankfully we were discharged and sent home, and since that incident, things have been fairly uneventful. I am counting down the weeks and have finally entered the 3rd trimester -- a huge milestone for me. Now my next goal is to reach 30 weeks, then 32 weeks, then 34. After 34, we will see what happens. I just want to deliver these girls as healthy as possible and being 27 weeks, they have a really good chance of survival -- not that I want to have them now, but I know that if they come, they will be in very good hands in the NICU at ENH.

No comments: