Ahh, Christmas morning. Memories of Christmas morning as a child are full of excitement -- watching the clock for "morning" when my brother and I could race out of our rooms, wake our parents and start tearing open the bounty of presents that waited for us under the tree. My mom would make coffee, we would have leftover guidiad from Christmas Eve for breakfast and perhaps some scalidi. My dad was a big fan of leftover fish from the night before -- I never got into that on Christmas morning. We would play Christmas music while we opened presents; it was a great holiday tradition.
Since I've been married, Geoff and I really have no Christmas traditions. Each year we would have to decide which side of the family we were going to be spending Christmas Day with. When my dad was alive, he would want to keep to the old tradition as much as possible, so usually Geoff and I would spend Christmas Day with my family. Last year, we hosted Christmas Day for both sides of the family -- it was a wonderful day, and I think we would like to carry on that tradition, but unfortunately this year, my bed rest kind of threw a wrench into those plans.
The idea of starting a new Christmas Day tradition next year with our girls is so exciting to both of us. Last night Geoff and I were watching the Polar Express on TV, and during a commercial break he looked at me and said "This is our last boring Christmas!" I replied, "Yep, next year we will have our 2 little girls, who will be just under a year old -- and we will have a lot of fun celebrating Christmas with them."
Although there are deep religious reasons why we celebrate Christmas, the secular Christmas is all about kids. There isn't anything exciting about Christmas as an adult. I do enjoy trying to find perfect gifts that my family and friends will enjoy -- but it still isn't as exciting as seeing the joy of Christmas through they eyes of a child.
We have been through so much to finally have a family -- it is just so amazing that next year at this time, we will be just as giddy as kids, because we will have our family, and we can start our own Olson Family Christmas traditions with them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment