Thursday, April 17, 2008

10 Week Update

Oooh, the girls are cranky this evening. As I sit in the serene surroundings of our office listening to the sound of my breast pump I hear poor Abby howling downstairs. She is in pain. The girls saw the doctor today for their two-month visit, and they got four shots each and an oral vaccination. The doctor warned me that they could be a bit uncomfortable tonight and if so, we could give them Ty.le.nol. And the poor things appear to be a bit uncomfortable -- Abby especially. As she sits in her bouncy seat she occasionally lets out a howl of a cry -- then settles for a few minutes only to repeat the howl.


Whew -- now it's several hours later and the girls have finally settled down and are sleeping. A dose of Ty.le.nol and some food seems to have done the trick.


Both girls are doing exceptionally well -- they are both gaining weight, especially Abby. She is now up to 11 lbs! I couldn't believe it -- it definitely made sense as her newborn sized pants were fitting a bit tight yesterday morning. Emily weighed 8 lbs 6 oz., and is now fully into newborn sized clothing. All of the preemie stuff is set aside in a basket ready to go somewhere. I may donate some of it to the Special Care Nursery where they were for three weeks; although it is the hospital that I used to work for. No matter how bitter I might feel towards that hospital right now, if I donate the preemie clothes it will be for the babies, not for the hospital. I noticed that while there, some of the stuff my girls wore was a little raggy. I asked about where they got the clothes and some they get from donations, but most of it came from a "baby shower" they had when the new unit was opened back in 2003 -- so I'm sure they would appreciate some new stuff.


I can't believe the girls are almost three months old. I have to go out and get Abby some clothes to wear since we stocked up on preemie, newborn and 0-3 sizes, we don't have much 3-6 month stuff and that is what Abby is quickly moving into these days. Some of the 0-3 is way too tight on her already. I can't believe it -- I thought for sure starting with preemies that they would be way off in their clothing sizes -- boy was I wrong.

Geoff and I are still so enamoured with the girls -- they have just changed so much in the last few weeks. Their eyes have really lightened, and you can see their pupils -- almost so you can "see into their souls." It sounds odd, but before their eyes were so dark, it didn't seem like they were real, but now they seem more alive to me somehow.

Their hair is really coming in too -- well, except for the hair loss that both girls have experienced on the tops of their heads. Both girls have the "old man" hair ring - aka the "Frank Barrone" hair style. Abby definitely has very red hair while Emily's hair looks more brown in room light and light brown with a red tinge in sun light -- it is so adorable. I can't wait to see what their true eye and hair color are -- I do hope they both keep their red hair, it is just too cute.

So, that is the 10-week update for now -- we took some new pictures today, I will have to post them later.

1 comment:

Adriane said...

I can't believe how big they are!! Hope the pain from the shots is over today!!