Friday, April 18, 2008

Did You Feel the Earth Move Today?

It's been all over the news -- there was an earthquake in the Midwest; more specifically in south-eastern Illinois. I knew I wasn't crazy -- or at least I hoped I wasn't.

I got up this morning at about 4 am. The girls were making noises, but weren't quite awake, so I took the opportunity to go into the office to pump. It was around 4:30 or so as I sat there typing out the instructions for our babysitters to follow starting on Monday when I experienced what felt like someone was behind me gently shaking the office chair that I sat in. It was still too early for Geoff to be up, but I still looked behind me to see if he had snuck in behind me. When I saw that nobody was there I grew a bit concerned. I knew I felt something shake me, but I couldn't figure out what it was. Not that I am a true believer in the supernatural, but of course when I couldn't explain what I felt, I thought -- maybe we have a ghost. Goosebumps grew up my arms as I thought about the possibility of something from the "other side" shaking my chair. After a few minutes passed, I stopped worrying about ghosts and resumed typing my babysitter instructions.

When I was done pumping, I went into our bed room and turned on the 5:00 news to find out that there had been an earthquake. An earthquake? Wow -- that would explain my shaking chair -- I wonder what time it happened. I listened intently as I fed Emily -- 4:36 am; right around the time I felt my chair shake!

I wasn't crazy! Whew! Who would have guessed -- an earthquake in Illinois!

1 comment:

Busted said...

I think I felt it too - I was asleep and very vaguely remember waking up (or being awake) and thinking it felt like our bed was shaking, and I assumed it was from wind. Then later that morning I heard about the quake. So weird - feeling an earthquake in Chicago.