Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Good-bye Unemployment

I am no longer unemployed!! I actually accepted a job last Friday, so I'm a little behind in updating everyone. I accepted the position at the large pharmaceutical company -- a first for me. In all of my professional career, I have worked for large employers who either are experiencing financial hardships or are not-for-profit. This is my first time in corporate America -- it will be interesting.

When I start my new job, we will have in-home day care for the girls. My mother-in-law and a friend will be watching the girls for us. There is on-site day care at my new company, and I hope to get the girls in there someday (there is a wait-list, as I understand) but for now I am happy to have in-home care for them, since their adjusted gestational age is really less than two weeks.

I have mixed emotions about going back to work. Since I have been out of work since November 7, 2007, I am looking forward to experiencing something other than the four walls of my home. I love being home with the girls, but I do miss stimulating adult conversation and activities that challenge my brain. I swear, being home for this long has done something to suck out my brain cells. Thank God I've had this blog to at least force me to write and type. During an interview last week I was explaining what I could do using Ex.cel and I could barely remember what a pivot table was, much less how to create one.

I know this new job won't be analytical in any way, and on one hand that is refreshing -- but on the other hand, I fear that I will become stale when it comes to doing data analysis. I do hope to seek additional opportunities in my future at this company, and I don't want to lose my skills.

Overall, I am very excited about starting my new job and proud of the fact that I was really only unemployed for a little over a month. I was "downsized" on February 19 and was offered this position on March 26. Being newly unemployed with two newborn daughters scared the hell out of me -- so I feel so much better now that I can proudly say that I do indeed have a job and I am helping to support our family once again.

No comments: