Okay, so I'm about an ounce Irish, and I'm not making them eat Corned Beef and Cabbage today, but I couldn't think of a better title for today's post. It's nothing exciting, just me talking about the girls again. It's all I do -- it's all I know how to do these days. But wouldn't you do the same?
We had their "one month well" checkup on Friday. Emily was able to get her first dose of the Hepatitis B vaccination -- she didn't weigh enough to get it in the hospital. As of Friday, Emily weighed 5lbs 10oz, and Abby weighed 6lbs 14oz -- our girls are getting to be almost normal newborn sizes. Abby is definitely fitting into newborn clothing -- but not all of them; some are still HUGE on her. Emily will be in preemie sizes for another week or two maybe, then on to newborn sizes.
Abby has developed reflux -- she had been spitting up a lot more lately, so we talked to the doctor about it. She recommended giving her "cereal bottles" -- mixing 1 tsp. of rice cereal per oz. of formula/breast milk to "thicken" her feeds. We've done it now for the last couple of days and it seems to be going better. Less spitting up is good for us! We had to go out and buy "Y cut" nipples for the bottles, since the liquid passing through the nipple was much thicker. So that meant I got to go to Ba.bies R U.s for the first time since bed rest! I really enjoyed myself -- and I could have done some serious damage if I let myself go. I bought only a few items of clothing -- but there were so many cute things that I wanted to buy. They have a lot of pretty little dresses for Easter, but since our girls aren't going out for Easter, I didn't see the point of buying them. Next year we'll get them all dressed up in pretty spring dresses.
I have also started to make a conscious effort to do "tummy time" with them. The nurses in the NICU recommended we do it daily during their awake times. I tried it once with Abby a week or so ago and she just layed there, with her face buried in the blanket on the floor -- poor girl. I did it with Emily for the first time last evening and not only did she lift her feet off the ground, but she also lifted her head a couple of times. I call Emily our little big girl -- she doesn't know she is small, and she is out to prove to everyone that she can do everything her bigger sister can do, and more! Today I had them side by side doing tummy time, and again Emily out "tummied" Abby -- I took some pictures of the event to share with you!
2 comments:
Found you through Mel's site. Your little girls are adorable, and no, I can't blame you. I'd be talking about them all the time, too!
Abby and Emily look great! definitely getting bigger and filling out. Roxie is cute, too! :-)
So glad the one month wellness check went well!
Post a Comment