I went on a job interview today -- my first in 9 years! Yikes! Being in Human Resources and having been on the other side of the table many, many, many times it wasn't completely horrible. I can't imagine the anxiety people who don't conduct interviews experience.
I do hate the whole job search process. You go to these interviews and as much as they are analyzing your every move, you are doing the same with them. Can I work with this person? Do I see myself doing this job? Can I work in this environment? Will I like my co-workers? Will I fit in? Will I do a good job? All of these things run through your head -- it is often hard to actually concentrate on the interview at hand.
I do like the prospect of working for the company I interviewed with today. The position is a step back for me, but that is what I am looking for right now. I need to perfect my most important job -- being a mom -- before I can jump into a big job like HR Director or Manager again. I was at my previous employer for four years before I took on a management position. I was already well versed in their policies and procedures, so it was an easy transition. Jumping right into a management position right off the street adds a lot of stress that I am not ready to take on right now.
We shall see what happens -- all of my interviewers today hinted that they are ready to move quickly on a decision as the work group is short staffed right now. I know that means that if I am offered a position, they will be eager for me to start ASAP, which is good on one hand -- but bad on the other. That means I need to push into overdrive the search for excellent day care for our girls. I liked the idea of having them in day care at my former employer, as the day care center was right down the hall from my office. I'm not too keen on the idea of having them at some random day care center that is not affiliated with my employer. This employer that I interviewed with today does have on-site day care that is excellent -- but the staffing person hinted that there is a wait list. Ultimately, I would prefer to have them at our home with a care provider who comes to us or I would also be comfortable bringing them to the care provider's home. With RSV season, it would make me feel a lot better not putting them in a day care center, which is full of germs and expose them to all kinds of illnesses.
I will see what happens. I won't put all of my eggs in one basket as I am also applying for other positions -- but keep your fingers crossed for me!
Tuesday, March 18, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I am a New York Times bestselling author working on a new book about mother-daughter relationships and thought you might want to contribute. Please visit my page for details about submitting stories for Mom's Little Angel.
Gregory E. Lang
Author of “Daddy’s Little Girl,” “Why a Daughter Needs a Dad,” “Why a Daughter Needs a Mom” and more.
Hey~
Have you found anyone yet?
Janel
Post a Comment