I can't believe it -- we survived! We actually made it a week with both girls home, and nobody ended up back in the hospital!
Both Geoff and I are tired -- that goes without saying. Lucky for us, the girls were on a pretty good schedule in the NICU, so we just duplicated that schedule here at home, and for the most part, it has worked out. Of course the girls sometimes veer off that schedule -- but we are finding some time to actually sleep.
What is hardest for me is the act of falling asleep. We are not subjected to any major screaming or crying fits (yet) -- but I am troubled by a symphony of little noises that cause me to jump out of bed and check on the girls with my flashlight in hand. By the time I get to their bassinets, they are sleeping soundly without any signs of distress. The nurses in the NICU referred to those noises as "preemie noises" and actually used the word "cute" to describe them. I don't find them cute at all -- I find them terrifying! I suppose I will get used to them, or even better -- they will outgrow them! Nevertheless -- I will ask the pediatrician about them tomorrow.
Geoff goes back to school tomorrow -- I think he is terrified. I know that he is worried that he will not be able to function effectively at school, now that he is a sleep-deprived parent. Right now, we are each taking a night-time shift. He is taking the early shift (between 11 pm and 1 am) and I am taking the later shift (3 to 5 am). We shall see how that works out. While I am unemployed, I am willing to do the night feeds on my own -- but hopefully that will only be a temporary situation, and Geoff will eventually need to take a night-time shift. So, in his mind he wants to get used to it now rather than later. I suppose I understand that...
Both Geoff and I are tired -- that goes without saying. Lucky for us, the girls were on a pretty good schedule in the NICU, so we just duplicated that schedule here at home, and for the most part, it has worked out. Of course the girls sometimes veer off that schedule -- but we are finding some time to actually sleep.
What is hardest for me is the act of falling asleep. We are not subjected to any major screaming or crying fits (yet) -- but I am troubled by a symphony of little noises that cause me to jump out of bed and check on the girls with my flashlight in hand. By the time I get to their bassinets, they are sleeping soundly without any signs of distress. The nurses in the NICU referred to those noises as "preemie noises" and actually used the word "cute" to describe them. I don't find them cute at all -- I find them terrifying! I suppose I will get used to them, or even better -- they will outgrow them! Nevertheless -- I will ask the pediatrician about them tomorrow.
Geoff goes back to school tomorrow -- I think he is terrified. I know that he is worried that he will not be able to function effectively at school, now that he is a sleep-deprived parent. Right now, we are each taking a night-time shift. He is taking the early shift (between 11 pm and 1 am) and I am taking the later shift (3 to 5 am). We shall see how that works out. While I am unemployed, I am willing to do the night feeds on my own -- but hopefully that will only be a temporary situation, and Geoff will eventually need to take a night-time shift. So, in his mind he wants to get used to it now rather than later. I suppose I understand that...
2 comments:
The pics are great - they are so beautiful! Glad to hear you survived the first week and are managing to get some sleep!!
I'm not sure how I found your blog, but just thought I'd say congrats! Sounds like you had a rough go the first couple of weeks, but I'm glad this past week was better for you! The girls are adorable!!
Post a Comment