Tuesday, January 1, 2008

A New Year -- A New Room

Today is not only the first day of the New Year, but it is also the first "major step" we are taking to convert our home to get ready for the arrival of our two baby girls.. Geoff is painting the room that will become the nursery. Notice how I say that -- still not calling it the nursery. Someday...

When we were deciding how we wanted to decorate the "nursery" it was pretty overwhelming. I was excited to do a "girlie" nursery once we found out we were having two girls -- but looking through bedding just for girls is total overload. There is a predominant theme among girls bedding that revolves around flowers, butterflies and princesses. I wasn't sure if I wanted to go all out with a "pink" theme or find a nice girlie color scheme that used other colors. I made a list of bedding choices that I liked and couldn't wait to show them to Geoff.

I had my top two -- one was a whimsical little girl pattern with butterflies and flowers -- the other a more traditional theme with a patchwork quilt of different floral patterns. Both were primarily pink and chocolate -- I love that color combination. I liked the more traditional looking set, while Geoff liked the more whimsical set. He convinced me that the traditional one looked more like an adult quilt set than a baby room -- I agreed and we decided on the whimsical pattern with flowers and butterflies -- and yes, we decided to paint the room pink too.

I just walked down the hall to check on the progress of the painting and it looks so good. We are doing a darker pink on the bottom part of the wall and a lighter pink on the upper part of the wall -- the colors will be separated by a white chair rail to match our trim. It is getting so real now -- that is probably why I am falling back into "worry mode." It is hard to believe that this may actually happen -- Geoff and I will actually be parents sometime in the next two months. I can't wait for each phase of preparation -- the furniture delivery, putting the cribs together, putting the bedding into the cribs, hanging clothes in the closet... I know I will cry like a baby at each stage -- but this is our dream, and it appears that it might just come true...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Beth,
Your mom sent me the link to your blog (I hope with your OK!). I've read and reread all your posts, and had to sit here and cry! I wish all the best for you and the girls, who we will meet IN THE SPRING! :-)
(Don't know if you remember me--I used to work with your mom) I'll return to 'eavesdrop' on your blog often!
Gina Dabbs