Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Catching Up

I am slowing down a bit here as I get closer to the big day. I am more tired, have a hard time sleeping and have absolutely no appetite. I don't find the time to blog since I would rather just lay in bed -- how bad is that?

We had another OB appointment on Monday. It was sooner than we had planned, but after last week, the doctor wanted to see me again on Monday to recheck my blood pressure. When we got there I walked back to "give my sample" -- then the medical assistant caught me to do my weight, and I headed right into an exam room. She came in shortly after that to take my blood pressure, and it was HIGH. I knew she would be back to re-check it. On our way out, it was rechecked and it was back down to 124/84 -- much better. I think my body just doesn't like all of the activity it is not used to since being on bed rest for so long.

The doctor came in and checked my cervix -- nothing to report there. It's still closed and soft, so no changes in the last few weeks. I mentioned that I have not been feeling Baby B as much as I am used to -- she has always been our champ in the "mover & shaker" department. The doctor recommended that we do a bio-physical profile after the appointment -- which is a fetal "well-being" check done via ultrasound. That sounded good to me -- any chance to see the girls I am willing to participate! I then asked if the plan was still to remove the cerclage at 34 weeks, and she agreed that was still the plan. She then recommended that we make our appointments for the next two weeks today, so we can have another Non-Stress Test the day the cerclage is removed -- that way, they can do a cervix check on me before releasing me from Labor & Delivery, where they do the NST's. That sounded good to me -- to finally have a date!

As we waited for the scheduler to make our appointment -- Geoff looked a little uncomfortable. We both knew that this day was coming, but I think the reality of having a date set for the removal of the cerclage was just hitting him pretty hard. Once the scheduler handed him the appointment cards, he looked at the one for February 11, made a face, pointed to me, mumbled something I couldn't make out and said "I don't know if I'm ready for this." It's not to say that our girls will be born on February 11 -- the doctor said that in some cases women who've had cerclages have had to be induced on their due dates, while others do deliver shortly after the cerclage is removed. It's basically a crap shoot -- you never know how our situation will play out. I hope for things to go quickly, because I'm definitely reaching my threshold of misery right now -- plus, Baby A is really low and can be felt through my cervix. But then again -- nothing in this pregnancy has played out as we anticipated, so I suppose we should expect the unexpected.

From the doctor's appointment we went for our Bio-Physical Profile. This is a timed ultrasound exam in which the baby is observed to see if it performs each of the 8 points that make up the exam. Each baby was observed for at least two heart rate increases with movement, one or more breathing episodes that last for at least 20 seconds, three movements or arms, legs or body, muscle tone in which the arms or legs are flexed, and an assessment of the amniotic fluid level to ensure it is appropriate. Each of the girls achieved 100 percent (8/8) -- we were so happy. During the exam, I asked about the position of Baby B, and sure enough she had moved her position. She used to be faced in to my mid-section, now she is turned and faces my back -- so that would explain why I don't feel her movements as much. That too was reassuring.

So, now we are on the home-stretch. It is hard to believe that we are so close -- I am getting nervous about my ability to labor for a vaginal delivery. I know that I am weak from being on bed rest for 12 weeks, so I am almost thinking I should talk to my doctor about just going for a c-section instead. It's not that I am afraid, but I know I do not have the stamina to even withstand a trip to the doctor's without being exhausted and in sheer pain. I know that regardless, if I labor and am not able to make it, we will do a c-section anyway. I suppose we just have to wait and see what happens. I will be happy if we can make it to 35 weeks, but I also know it is out of my control -- these girls will come when they are ready, whether we are or not.

1 comment:

Emily said...

Feb 11th is soon!! Wow. Good luck!

Emily