Of course I showered today, as I do everyday. The shower I am speaking of is the traditional rite of passage for all FTM's (first time mom's) -- the baby shower.
Since going on bed rest 10 weeks ago, the plans for the official grand-daddy shower were halted. There was no way that I could rationalize risking my pregnancy by leaving the house for any extended period of time to experience this wonderful event. I was upset, since as I mentioned in an earlier post, experiencing your baby shower is all part of the "pregnancy experience." Unwrapping cute little packages filled with tiny outfits, booties and yummy smelling baby lotions and soaps -- it's a day I dreamed of all along my TTC (trying to conceive) journey.
At Christmas, my mom and I started talking about the possibility of doing a "mini-shower" at my house -- not the traditional location for a shower, but we had to make some adjustments due to my special circumstances. It would be small enough so it wouldn't be a "marathon day" for me -- I could easily come downstairs and be among family for a few hours to open gifts, eat lunch and some cake before I would have to return to my "dorm room." It would allow me the opportunity to see my family, which I don't get to see very often while helping us to build our supply of baby gear to prepare us for the big day.
It was a very nice day -- although I was not able to mingle as much as I would have liked to (since I was pretty much anchored to my recliner), it was nice to see relatives that I only see once every few years for events that are usually weddings or funerals. I did "break the rules" for a few minutes and made my way over to the dining room and actually sat up (eek!) to eat my cake. My back was hurting so much and I was getting so out of breath -- I needed a change of scenery, plus I wanted to spend some time with my cousins, and I was happy I did.
After all of our guests left, Peg -- my mother-in-law, sent me to my room, and I didn't argue. I was beat -- and I had attempted every position possible on the couch and none were quite cutting it. My bed was calling. So, I waddled upstairs, changed out of my "real" clothes (which finding any that still fit me was an adventure this morning), got into my comfy clothes and crawled into my bed. Ahhhhh... relief. It is so sad that I am so much more comfortable in my bed, with my big pregnancy body pillow -- I love that thing. It was a wonderful day, but I was happy to be back in my comfy place.
Sunday, January 13, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment